$9.99 Shipping On All Orders

Cayenne Peppers

Cayenne peppers pack much more of a kick than jalapenos. They range from about 30,000 to 50,000 on the Scoville heat index. Cayenne peppers are usually sold in a dried or ground up form at the grocery store. They are bit harder to find at the supermarket in raw form. Cayenne peppers are quite hot when picked fresh off the vine. A solid chomp and subsequent chew will produce an endorphin rush similar to consuming lots of rich dark chocolate. Much like the jalapeno or any other hot pepper, the capsaicin in cayenne peppers is most efficiently released when they are roasted.

The cayenne pepper originated in the city of Cayenne which is the capital of French Guiana. At Central Farms, we prefer a strain of Cayennes known as super twos because they are very resilient during the extremely hot and dank Watchung Valley summers. They are also quite resistant to dry rot (a pepper farmer’s worst nightmare).Also, this particular variety produces a very high yield. We have also tried the jumbo variety, the Carolina long slim, as well as various Indian varieties. It is best to pick cayenne peppers when they turn a full on fire engine red color. Usually, the rule is: the longer you wait for the peppers to mature, the hotter they will get. Cayennes have what is considered a medium length growing season.

We use only homegrown, organic cayenne peppers in our Old Bricktucky Cayenne. Thesauce is a unique break from your traditional strict cayenne and vinegar concoctions. It is a distinct blend of organic cayenne peppers, cinnamon, paprika, and bell peppers. It is fantastic on pork chops or on a nice loaf of cornbread. But like all of our sauces, it is quite versatile in thatit goes well with pretty much anything.

26 Comments

1. Dianne on July 5, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I put up pepper like my mom does.
    All I do is wash jars and pepper and put in jars pour vinegar over them and seal. My family likes them with beans and greens.This is easy and quick. Also i cut up green tomato’s and put in the jar with my peppers. Let them sit and enjoy this winter.

2. Benito on July 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Just start mixing and do it to your liking. Everyone has different tastes that they prefer. The vinegar is usually the most prominent ingredient in a basic cayenne, salt and vinegar sauce. Good luck! -Ol’ Benito

3. coco on June 30, 2011 at 4:41 pm

want to use ground cayenne to make a red pepper sauce how much ground cayenne to vinegar and salt thanks

4. coco on June 30, 2011 at 4:39 pm

want to use ground cayenne to make pepper sauce how much ground cayenne to vinegar and salt? i have to use organic sauce because the msg. in sauces gives me terrible hives so i am trying to make my own. thanks

5. Benito on June 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I would also try a hot pepper jelly while you are at it. You can get a great recipe on line. You will need to get some bell peppers and vinegar for this too. Enjoy! Best of luck! – Ol’ Benito

6. Wesley Dau on June 13, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I have some cayenne peppers growing for the first time in the garden. My plan is to make some cayenne pepper hot sauce and then also some buffalo sauce with that sauce. Any recommendations?

7. Alegra on May 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Thanks Bentio, i am going to use cayenne for hot sauce but i would like to use them as a ground pepper for spice too. Can someone tell me the process in which to do that.

8. Benito on May 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Sure, try chopping off the stems. Throw them in a blender with a tomato or bell bell pepper and some lime juice or vinegar and go to town. – Ol’ Benito

9. Alegra on May 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I am growing cayenne peppers for the first time. I am getting fruit but they surely haven’t ripened yet. But when they do ripen, does anyone know a simple hot sauce recipe that centers around cayenne. thanks

10. pepper mills on December 7, 2010 at 4:10 am

Most typically, peppers have been utilized to spice up commonly boring meals like rice or corn. By way of the a long time though, visitors at this time have arrive up possessing a complete slew of helps make use of for peppers from generating pepper jelly, to making use of ornamental peppers for garlands.

11. Benito on September 1, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Thanks for sharing your ideas Melissa. I have to try that with my cayennes this year. They are just starting to ripen, I’m expecting at least a couple hundred pods…

12. Melissa on August 31, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I grow these every year. I use them green for salsa’s and for chop a bit up and put them on top of a Cheddar Burger with Cilantro and a dab of Mayo.

Once they turn red I like to dry them in a brown paper bag and once they are so dry that they crumble, I remove the seeds and grind them into a fine flake or powder and use that in sauces and other dishes for a nice kick in the pants. Store bought pepper flakes are full of seeds. I prefer less of those.

13. Benito on August 22, 2010 at 3:24 pm

It’s fine to use, If you leave it out on the counter for a couple days, it should change to more of a uniform reddish color. It’s fine to use if you have a long green one. You will find that the flavor and heat will be best throughout the pepper if you let it mature to a ripe cherry-red color. I have hundreds of green cayennes on my plants right now, but in a few weeks, I think I will be O.K.. Thanks- ol’ Benito

14. Camille on August 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I have one pepper that i think was left on too long and is now multicolored and twisted and really dark at the top; is it still OK to use?

also, how long are these supposed to get? because I have one that’s 10 inches long but still green

15. Mike Vez on July 30, 2010 at 7:23 pm

this site is great/ i love i t thanx’s

16. Cherre on June 30, 2010 at 2:58 am

Julie,
    Pack the peppers in sterilized, jars, bring white vinegar to a boil, pour over peppers. (Nope, I don’t use salt or any other spices!) Seal jars by placing them in a water bath (place jars on a rack in a deep pan, fill with water to cover jars, place lid on pan, bring to slow boil, and boil for approx 10 min.) Do not place the jars directly on the bottom of the pan. They will burst. This recipe makes the kind of pepper sauce you eat on greens, peas, etc. (The vinegary kind). You don’t have to chop up the peppers–pack them whole. I have canned for years, and my mom/mother in law taught me how to can–this recipe always worked for us!

17. Jarrod on September 29, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Julie, you can do half water and half white vinegar. Cut the ends off the peppers before putting them in the jar. If you freeze them the only thing you will be about to use them for is cooking because freezing them makes them really mushy. Try out one of the following.
    3 cups distilled white vinegar
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 pounds cayenne or jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
    Simmer vinegar, salt and peppers for 5 to 10 minutes.
    Process in food processor or blender. Seal in small sterilized canning jars and place in a cool, dark place to age for about 3 months.

Or Dry them either in a dehydrator or by hanging them to dry. Makes a good spice.

18. Julie Ledbetter on September 22, 2009 at 1:12 am

I have been given 2 bags of cayenne peppers. I want to put some of them in jars with vinegar but want to know if I should put some water & what spices to use? I don’t want to end up just sticking them in the freezer.
    Thank you.
    Julie Ledbetter

19. Debbi on August 23, 2009 at 12:04 am

My family loves to eat them green raw just like you would a banana pepper. But I also have way to many

20. Kelvin on July 24, 2009 at 5:49 pm

I grew cayenne peppers last year and picked them too soon because I didn’t know they would turn red (some had turned a little reddish).I know better now and I pulled the plant up because I didn’t know they would come back on their own.

21. Tina on November 9, 2008 at 11:05 pm

I was worried mine wouldn’t turn before frost (live in Minnesota), but I brought them in and they finaly turned. It took about 3 months. I didn’t realize they would come back next year too! Going to try to make some hot sauce.

22. Benito on October 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm

Some slowly ripen that way, others will stay green but should pack some heat. Just make sure you pick everything before the first frost. In the past I have seen peppers gradually ripen a day or two after being picked. Sorry for the delayed response. – Ol’ Benito

23. aaron on October 15, 2008 at 10:38 pm

I am entring winter here in Oregon and I still have a ton of peppers that are still green. Can I pull the plant and hang it in my garage or shed to ripen? I did grab a broken branch and hung it in the utility room and 50% of them turned bright red so I am guessing the others will also (unless they are not muture enough).

24. janice hardy on July 26, 2008 at 2:48 pm

leave them till they get bright red- they will make tons of them too

25. Tammy Crawford on July 24, 2008 at 8:27 pm

I am growing cyaennes and the plant is already full but they are about 4 inches long and still green. What can I do with all these peppers? Is hot sause my only option?

26. scott on June 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm

I am growing cayennes for the first time in my garden. I am not sure when to pick them. I have one about 4 inches long,but it is still green. Do I pick and let ripen or leave till it turns red?