In July of 2008, after a few years of growing chile peppers and making small batches of fresh vegetable hot sauce for friends and family, we began making and selling our fresh vegetable puree hot sauce in the picturesque green mountains of Vermont. We began cooking and bottling the sauce at the Vermont Food Venture Center in Fairfax, Vermont in the Fall of 2008.
In September of 2015, we moved into our own facility in Morrisville, VT.
Over the last few years, we have come up with a few new sauces and five certified organic chile pepper infused Vermont maple syrups. We wanted to incorporate a range of heat levels with various flavor profiles. All of the sauces have an extra fresh flavor that is nothing like anything else out there. Over the past few years we have been able to develop a strong relationship with local farmers throughout the great state of Vermont. We now source over 8,000 pounds of organic Vermont grown chiles, ,other assorted veggies and certified organic maple syrup every year from six local Vermont farms.
We have some new sauces in the works for the Summer/Fall of 2020………be sure to check the site frequently and to like our facebook page to stay up to date with regard to our most current projects.
All sauces are made with non gmo and organic ingredients. I don’t use any filler ingredients like xanthan gum, extracts, pepper mash, pepper resin, corn starch, flour, corn syrup, or any artificial flavors or preservatives.
Ultimately, the purpose of what we do at Benito’s is not about big name recognition. I have no desire to become the next Tabasco sauce. I am simply about producing a fresh and unique product that is always made with high quality local ingredients. I love to hear that people are experimenting with our sauces and participating in the creation and stewardship of local food systems. All products are cooked, bottled, labeled and sealed by Benito himself except for our mango habanero pepper jam which is made for us by our friends down at Side Hill Farm in Brattleboro, VT.
– Ol’ Benito
Below is a breakdown of our flavor profiles:
- The Original Naranja is for the seasoned hot sauce enthusiast but is also a crowd pleaser. It is a solid medium/hot and goes well on anything.
- Joe’s #1 Jalatillo has a jalapeno/tomatillo/garlic/ citrus lime flavor (great on Mexican food).
- The Chipotle Grande has a very distinct smoky sweet onion maple garlic flavor,… it is intensely addictive.
- The Mango Habanero is your classic summertime sweet-hot with an extra fresh flavor. No added sugar though, just fresh mangos in every batch. Described in a review as “A tropical garden in my mouth.” (Scott Robert Spicy Food Blog)
- The White Hot, which is nicknamed “the guido killer”, is an onion, garlic and ginger based bhut jolokia (ghost) fortified torture trip…but with flavah!!!
- The Old Coy Dog, is our fresh Vermont style take on a classic red southern style hot sauce. We use the ghost chile but not all that much vinegar because we don’t make hot vinegar, we make hot sauce!
- The Local Tang is a Vermont favorite at farmers’ markets and local festivals. It combines Vermont grown Fatali, Paper Lantern and mild Trinidad peppers to produce an irresistible tangy heat that is perfect for eggs, tacos and burritos.
- Poto Rojo, our hottest blend made with Carolina Reaper Chile Peppers and organic Sicilian Blood Orange Juice. Yeah sure it is pretty warm, it has a bright southern sour flavor with a nice escalating heat.
- Our Table Sauce is a seasonal offering made with local Vermont grown organic butternut squash, local apples and local Apple cider vinegar as well as Vermont grown jalapenos and organic crushed black peppercorns. It is amazing with pork chops, egg tacos and roasted veggies.